Chapter – 3: Front Office Department
Short Answer Questions
- Define the Tariff. 
Ans: Tariff is the price of service such as import tariff, hotel tariff, air tariff, etc. It is also related to government tax. Hotels and airlines prefer to use the word tariff as they are selling service.
All organizations either profit organization or non-profit organization must be able to sale their offer. Sale is the delivery of organization’s offer to the receiver. The value fixed for exchange is price or tariff.
- Define the Front Office. 
Ans: Front Office is one of the most important sections of a tourist hotel. This unit is responsible for the sale of hotel rooms. It does the reservation, receives and registers the guests, assigns the rooms and acts as a continuous source of information to the guests during their stay at the hotel and finally collects the dues for the services provided. Most of the visitor’s impression is the first encounter of the hotel staff. The front office is the first and last point of contact of every guest. So the department is termed as “image building”. It functions as the “nerve center”. The department also develops and maintains up-to-date database of guest information, guest services and ensures guest satisfaction.
- Explain the Registration procedure. 
Ans: Registration is a process to record the guest name, address, nationality, etc. It is the act of recording necessary information related to guests.
It is mandatory to maintain a record of hotel guests, as it is the source of information to the government or the local authority on the movement of people in the country. The registration of the guest names. The registration of the guest names, etc. protects both the hotel owner and the guest from the legal complications.
The registration job includes preregistration activities, registration, and assigning rooms, inform rate and agree on mode of payment, issuing room key, and escorting guest to the rooms.
- Pre-registration: The job includes preparation of Card, Record system, assign the staff, etc. To make simple and easy registration pre entry of some basic information of VIP, CIP, Group checking can be done.
- Record guest information: After guest arrival guest detail recorded. In includes guest detail, arrival details and travel details.
- Assign room: This to allocate room as per guest request. Some guest may have pre reservation and some guests are walk-in guests. This job includes entry room no. issue key pass/ code, coupons, etc.
- Agree on rate and mod of payment: If there is no pre agreement of rate it is necessary to determine rate and inform the guest. The guest needs to agree on the rate and agree on how he is going to clear the bill. If guest is going to use credit card get the print of it.
- Issue key: entry the key no. and issue the key with key card.
- Escorting the guest to the room: The bellboy will escort the guest to their room.
- Define the Skippers. 
Ans: Skippers is the guest who departs without paying hotel bill. It is the intentional action of a guest.
It is the duty of the Front Office to avoid the chance of turning out to be a skipper. He must maintain close cooperation with housekeeping, bellboys and with doorman. The checking starts from arrival of the guest. Many skippers arrive with “Scanty Baggage”. It is a false baggage or empty baggage so that they can leave the bag and run away without clearing hotel bill.
Some of the preventive measures are to receive some amount in advance or to get imprint of guests’ credit card and signature, check the permanent address and passport. Ask the suspicious guest to use safe deposit box to lock their valuables, so that they cannot leave the hotel without clearing the bill.
- Explain the Basis of charging room rates. 
Ans: Hotels are the business organization. They provide accommodation and catering service. They determine the price of their services they provide. The prices depend upon their class of service and standard of service.
Basic of charging room rates
In different country and in different hotels rooms are charged on different basis.
- 12 noon basis: Under this system hotel room is charged on 12 noon as a check-out time. Late check-in or early check-out is ignored.
- 24 hours basis: Under this system room occupancy time starts from the time of check-in.
- Night basis: This system is used in local hotel where travelers stay for night only.
- Hour basis: In this system room rate is calculated on hour basis. They do not count night.
Types of Hotel Rates
- Published Rate: also known as Printed Rates. The published rates are printed in its brochure and made public to everyone. It is open and applicable to everyone. The rate does not impose any terms and conditions. The rate is also known as rack rate.
- Special rates: are the agreed rate related between the hotel and travel agency or agents. The special rates are confidential. It is not exposed to everyone. In this rate hotel impose different terms and conditions. To get the special rate travel agencies or agents and hotel does special agreement. The special rate depends upon the sales volume, goodwill and relation. Hotels publish special rates are by different names. Such as crab rate, seasonal rate, crew member rate. The rates are also published on the basis of nationality.