Concepts and Meaning of Tourism
Short answer questions
- Write basic difference between Attractions and Amenities. [2.5+2.5]
Ans: In every tourism there must be 4 As, they are Attraction, Accessibility, Accommodation and Amenities. They must be combines or work together to be tourism. So, each one of them are different but they must be together to be tourism. The difference between attraction and amenities are discussed below.
Attraction: It is anything which attracts people from “there” to “here”. Because of attraction people leave routine job and involve in travel. This element creates desire to travel. It motivates to travel. It attracts people towards it. The attraction is the magnetic power of a destination. The attractions could be cultural monuments, flora and fauna, beach resorts, mountains, national parks or events like trade fairs, exhibitions, sports, arts and music festivals, games, etc. they are the factors, which generate flow of tourists to a particular location. Attractions may be either site attractions or event attractions. They can be classified as natural and man-made. They are historical, supplement, made by others or made by tourism, etc. In tourism, attraction requires two times; once to generate the travel. It makes the person to leave the routine job and go to a new place. The second time attraction requires to entertain or to provide pleasure. So attraction should have two qualities to attract and attach. The accessibility, accommodation and amenities at the destination determine the magnetic quality of an attraction.
Amenity: Amenities are the facilities added to the attractions, accommodations and transportation. The element of services added to the any other three elements generates tourism. For example, simple traveling by bus or by train does not count as tourism, if service is added with the reservation, booking, issuing ticket, providing information it is included within the tourism. Without amenities an accommodation will be hotel, attraction will be a place, mountain, etc. When we combine amenity with attraction or with hotel then it is known as tourism. It is one of the basic elements of tourism. It is the soul or the essence of tourism. It is the intangible element. It creates, pleasure, leisure, relax trust, etc.
Amenities are the facilities. These include different facilities and services provided by the government, travel agencies or middlemen or commission agents, hotels, airlines and transport companies, financial institute, insurance agents, etc.
- Discuss the characteristics of tourists. 
Ans: The movement of tourists directly or indirectly influence the society and culture. Tourists are people from different culture. Their dress, food habits, behaviors are different than local people. When tourists come in contact with local people a social exchange takes places. The exchange happens both way guest and host. They affect the social structure and mode of life at the destinations and they carry back home new experience, knowledge, friendship. The affects can be summarized in the following sub-headings:
- Cultural Understanding: When a tourist comes in contract with the place he visit and its population, a social exchange takes places. It develops the understandings o two distinct cultures and helps to develop results in between the people. The interaction between people to people results in making friends and goes a long way in increasing friendships. This will lead to international understanding.
- Improving International Understanding: Besides generating economic activity, tourism develops international goodwill and understanding. Tourism can be a vehicle for international understanding by way of bringing diverse people fact to face. Tourism is a medium through which we can exchange knowledge and create understanding among the people of the world.
- Preserves the Local Community: when tourists visit the local community and appreciate their custom, festivals, then the local community also realize the importance and tries to preserve it. In many places, the lost tradition has been revived because of tourism. Tourism also supports morally and financially to preserve the local tradition. The tourist may also help eliminate the local superstitions, they educate the local people and introduce new ideas. The sharing of the ideas will be beneficial for both communities. Tourism has some negative impacts on society.
- Illustrative Effects: Tourists are the people who travel for the purpose of leisure, pleasure and relax but local people do not see their hard work, how they save money to travel here and collect wrong impression. The society generally young generation copy without knowing the real meaning, which will affect the existing culture.
- Domination Effect: Tourism is related to luxurious concept. When tourist visit a destination with modern equipment, fresh dress, enjoy different types, of activities in a well mannered way the local people feel dominated. Local people feel inferior, low uneducated. It develops negative psychological feeling among the local people.
- Cultural Change: Many times, for the purpose of tourism and because of promotion of tourism local people take part in foreign festivals. Finally, they forget the importance of local festivals and enjoy the foreign festivals.